Coordinated Travel Training Project
On May 20, 2010, Tompkins County submitted its aplication for $100,000 in New Freedom funds t NYSDOT to fund a coordinated travel training program. The file is available for download below.
The Project would expand the Way2Go program, operated by Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County,to include the coordinated travel training project and be funded for two years, from 10/1/2010 to 9/30/2012. The Project has three overall goals - to organize a network of interested or involved agencies, increase and improve travel training for individuals, and provide feedback to transportation providers to improve ease-of-use of their services. The goals, in detail, are as follows:
Goal 1: To develop a collaborative, county-wide travel training program that enables individuals to overcome barriers to independent use of transportation services through individualized, hands-on assistance.
- Objective 1. Organize agencies currently providing or interested in travel training into a collaborative network contributing to program development, implementation and evaluation.
- Objective 2. Develop a coordinated travel training plan by creating a database of existing travel training services, identifying service gaps in travel training, and identifying barriers faced by individuals.
Goal 2: To implement a travel training program that enables individuals to effectively utilize mobility and information services to the best of their abilities.
- Objective 1. Operate a train-the-trainer program to increase quality and consistency of travel training provided by paid employees and volunteers.
- Objective 2. Provide effective travel training assistance to meet individual needs among older adults, people with physical or developmental disabilities, people lacking English, literacy or other relevant life skills, people lacking computer access or skills, or others for whom familiarity or skill with mobility services is a barrier to use.
- Objective 3. Create a user-friendly travel training website and Internet-accessible “how-to” travel training video clips on using TCAT buses, GADABOUT, taxis, carshare, ridesharing and other mobility options.
- Objective 4. Integrate travel training services with Way2Go transportation information services, providing a seamless continuum of travel information, coaching and hands-on training as needed.
Goal 3: To collect and use consumer feedback in order to improve the ease-of-use and seamless integration of mobility and information services.
- Objective 1. Collect insights and feedback about obstacles, or operative practices (such as way-finding signage, wheelchair accessibility, website ease-of-use, comfort of skill of operators in facilitating accessibility, etc.,) which create hardships for people to uderstand how to use mobility services.
- Objective 2. Utilize consumer feedback to identify, help prioritize and communicate to transportation planners and providers measures to improve ease-of-use of mobility services.
- Objective 3. Use consumer feedback to identify needed “how-to” videos, FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) topics, and other priorities for improving the Way2Go transportation education and travel training services.
Travel Training Videos from London, UK and Pittsburg, PA
I found a number of videos on travel training on YouTube. These videos show travel training for students and young adults with special needs in London and Pittsburg. - Dwight Mengel