Today, GADABOUT received the first three ARRA-funded buses delivered in Tompkins County. There are eight TCAT buses on order. When TCAT's two hybrid electric buses arrive in April, we'll do a PR blast with TCAT and GADABOUT.
January is off to a fast start for coordinated transportation planning.
1. Kudo's to TCAT, VPSI and Cornell University for organizing the first vanpool - nine people commuting to Tompkins County from Schuyler County.
2. Ridesharing is up and running through Tompkins-Zimride. This is a NYSERDA supported project with the Tompkins Rideshare Coalition.
3. The Coordinated Plan Committee and Ithaca-Tompkins County Transportation Council are asking the public to review our plan's priorities and suggest changes, and for project proposals for JARC and New Freedom programs.
We hade three days of 60+ unique visitors. The Committee was active up to Dec 21 when the County approved participation in ITNEverywhere. There must be web-bots active on the holidays.
Tompkins County will soon officially launch our new rideshare program, Zimride! This social network for ridesharing makes it fun and easy to find friends and colleagues to split the cost of daily commutes and other rides. www.zimride.com/tompkins
We’ll soon launch the site to the entire county, but we’re inviting you to Access and use the site early.
• We ask that you sign up and add your commute then Zimride will do the matching.
• You can post as the driver or passenger, or say that you’re willing to do either.
Again, to participate in our "sneak peek" of Tompkins Zimride, please do the following:
1) Visit www.zimride.com/tompkins and sign up
2) Add your commute indicating if you can be a driver or passenger
3) Review your match list and start riding!
Please pass this early launch email to your employees or other networks if that makes sense. If you have any technical questions or comments about the website program contact email@example.com or (650) 691-5418 or see the "help" link at www.zimride.com/tompkins.
For other questions about ride sharing in Tompkins County you can contact the Ithaca-Tompkins County Transportation Council at (607) 274-5570 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
BTW, the Tompkins Rideshare Coalition obtained a NYSERDA grant in 2009 to support three years of rideshare development. The ITCTC is managing the project.
Gas prices (and oil prices) have been increasing during the past year. Gas prices could top $3.75 nationally by May 2011, whihc translates to $4/gallon gas in Ithaca NY. I recently returned from a trip to NYC and saw prices for regular gas ranging from $3.45-$3.65. (In NJ, gas was $2.89-$3.02.)
Higher gas prices creates new opportunities to market to consumers to get control of their transportation costs by using alterlatives to driving alone. We are well positioned to really push transportation choices in 2011. Ridesharing is ready for public launch. Vanpooling will have its first van from Schuyler County. Way2Go is ramping up its website redesign. TCAT ridership was up in 2010. We are getting ITNEverywhere underway. Speed of execution is essential. Here we go!
Dwight Mengel works in the Tompkins County Department of Social Services as its Chief Transportation Planner.